Skip to main content

Junk


It started with a conversation. And that’s how it usually begins…my writing process (if you can call it that.) This is how it went:


I know you’re on the edge of you seat right!

Right??

I’m asked by my second, “Mom, where is my punch card?” “They are in the junk drawer, son,” was my reply.

Junk drawer...

I couldn’t get the out of my head once it came out of my mouth. Junk drawer. Maybe it is because it’s not a junk drawer. It actually isn’t a drawer full of junk. It is actually a fairly well organised (probably the only place in my house that is on a regular basis) “catch all” drawer. Anything that I don’t have a place for at the time (or don’t want to find a home for) kind of gets stuck in here. And the truth is that there are things in this so called junk drawer that I would be lost with out…like the 5th pair of scissors that I can always count on being there when the other 4 that we own are no where to be found. And that red pen I’m forever looking for. And batteries! Those things are a life saver for sure.


Yes, I think I will start to call it a catch all drawer, but then I have to explain that one to the kids…hmmmm…


Oh, yes there is a point to this story....and here it is....

This idea of junk that isn’t really junk. I had this thought:

 I am kinda like that junk in that drawer. No wait, all believers are kinda like that junk.


NO! NO! You protest, “We’re not junk…we are fearfully and wonderfully made. We are special because we are made in the image of God himself.” To quote Bob the tomato, “God made you special and he loves you very much.” And you are correct! That is true and an integral to the life of every believer. It is important to know this and live this, and I heartly agree.


And still….

Isn’t it also true that God uses the base things of the world? Isn’t it true that what seems to be unimportant really IS what is important after all? Don’t I loose everything to find Christ…even myself?


This isn’t an issue of so called self-esteem. This is another case of our wonderfully backwards God.


You see…
                 the world tells you to…


…Follow your heart...

 ...you are special in and of yourself …

 …if you don’t feel good about yourself you just need some good ol’ self confidence...

…if you want respect, you go out there and get it, demand it even...

...don’t ever let anyone take advantage of you (and if you do it’s probably because you feel badly about yourself)...

 And yet....
                 God’s word says…

 …your heart is deceitful and wicked above all else (Jer. 17:9)

...what makes you truly special is that God made you in his image and loved you so that you may love him back…(Genesis 1: 26-27, 1 John 4:19)

…the only way to truly have confidence is to find it in Christ and his cross: to take it up daily (Acts 17:11)...

...remember, Jesus washing his disciples feet just before his death…even Judas Iscariot the man who would betray him for 30 pieces of silver? yeah that man…. He washed his stinkin’ feet on the night before his death too…(John 13:1-17)

…only when we loose our life can we find life in the Light of Life…(Matt. 16:25)

 Just glancing down in our junk drawer it doesn’t look like anything special, but it really is an essential part of our house. There are important things in there. They just aren’t hung on the wall or sat on all day long. Though they may not have a place of prominence they have their place and particular purpose.

 And, you know I believe, that this is how God works: backwards.


I confess, again, I spend far too much time wanting to do or be something important when in reality God doesn’t want or need “important” people, God wants us to deny ourselves so in turn our desires become His desires. He wants us to bend ourselves low in service to Him and then to others.

 Now, this is so confusing isn’t it? Bend low in service to be exalted? 


This is totally contrary to everything inside of this heart of mine. But isn’t that the point?

My heart can only fulfil this calling…when it is full of Him: of Jesus Christ himself.



Father, this bending low and serving of the hands is so, very hard. My hands don't want to serve they want to be served. I don't want to bend low, I want to stand tall. Frankly, it's more comfortable that way, Lord. Forgive me for wanting things my way, for buying into the worlds ideas, for wanting a place of prominance and to be seen in the world and appreicated above you. Forgive me for wanting people to see my works and praise me and not you and your son. Thank you for Jesus because only by him and through him are any of us able to fulfil this most high and holy calling of servanthood. ~Amen

567. writing...and being interrupted...and writing some more
568. watching one sweet boy play, carefree in the rain
569. one girl working so hard in the yard she was sore the next day
570. remembering that God doesn't make junk
571. finding the purpose in the simple things
572. journey mercies: to NC to TN and home again, home again jig-a-ti-jig
573. responsibility charts
574. that talk, you know...yeah that girl talk. well we had it and it was sweet and good.
575. God: you are sweet and good
576. FREE, yes, free online photo editing at picmonkey It really is kind of unfair that you can have pictures this good and not be a "professional"
577. a visit to the Creation Museum and a reminder how important the athority of the Word is
578. all that glorious splendor....trees and trees and more trees in TN
579. counting the blessings...one by one
580. bugs in jars







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Is

  Winter Is...       Naps on the couch     Good Reads. With leaves for bookmarkers.     Lots of light saboring.       Snow Forts.       Dogs pulling a sled 200 miles.     And the musher behind them.     Coats zipped up to our eyeballs     Frozen Face. Seriously, his face was frozen.      Skiing   Falling down while skiing     Success! while skiing.       Lot's of yelling, "Do the pizza!!!" at skiing children.     Together.

Little Reminders

It is no small secret that I am forgetful....a little scatterbrained. I can't fully take all the blame for this. I think it that the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" gene was passed along by the one I call mom, and sometimes Kathy Delrene to be funny because she often middle names me (endearingly of course) and I like to remind her (like she's forgotten) that her middle name is Delrene. Not that I'm blaming her, but I don't accept the responsibility either. Ok, I'm blaming her. Sorry, mom (she knows I'm kidding...well, at least kind of.) The good news is that I only forget semi-important things like birthdays (if you think birthdays are more important than semi-important we probably shouldn't be friends), what day the church yard sale is on exactly and mixing up when I need to help b/c I didn't write it down, to make a dozen cookies for the Christmas time gifts to the Airmen in the dorms (oops!), to bring the ipod with me to the gym (grrr...hate

Never Too Late for Friday Favs!

Yes, I know it's Sat. It's actually lateish Sat. evening. FridayFavs are actually supposed to be posted on Friday. Which is not today. Obviously. Oh, time management we have already decided you are one of my greatest foes. However, since the past couple of weeks have been, well pretty wonderful I thought I would share in more of the fun and favorite things we did together. These here are some of our Favs from when the laundry fairy (AKA Nana) was still in town.  Making sweet treats     And a Pinata And just for the record Pinatas are hard to make. It is a project that takes about a week. Not 2 or 3 days Unless you live in the South and can put it outside to dry in Oct.     Best. Dad. Ever.     Ironman. Meg (from Little Women). And a pirate, of course. I love them all. Well, the children dressed up as them anyway.     Yup. This here is the Cowboy at the fishin' hole.     It is quite possible that our homema