Skip to main content

Because Everyone Needs a Go-To Meal

Aren't crock pots the best? I mean really, I'm not sure what I would do with out mine. I was getting the meat ready for our Sunday lunch tonight (Sat.) and thought this recipe is blog worthy. I don't think that I have ever served this meal with out the other person asking for the recipe. Really, it's that stinkin' good! The best part is that it is EASY and the crock pot (or the oven) does all the work for you. It's also a crowd pleaser and by that I mean...it can feed a crowd. We used to feed this to our small group and let's just say our group wasn't very small....more like mediumish.. sometimes bigger. Oh, how I miss feeding you small, errrr medium group family...

I digress..

Now, if you know me at all you know that I am no original when it comes to stuff like this. I am a good forgery on most things and this is one of them. I am a regular subscriber to Molly Green Magazine written by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. I got this one from a magazine awhile ago. Don't be fooled though, it's not just a magazine for homes schoolers. It's basically about saving money. It usually has great recipes and other fantastic ideas. The one from May was about couponing, which was helpful. I it's just under $4.00 a month, and I would say that if you implement some of the ideas promoted you'll make your money back for sure. And no I'm not getting paid to say that. Click the link and see what it's all about!

Anywhoo, here ya go...because, well every one needs a go-to meal...and if ya don't have one...ya do now!

Pulled Pork:

Ingredients: this is for a dry rub

3 tbs. paprika
1 tbs. garlic powder
1 tbs. brown sugar
1 tbs. dry mustard
3 tbs. kosher or sea salt (yes, you have to use either of these NOT table salt...I've tried..oops)
1 (5 to 7 lb) pork roast. Works best with shoulder or Boston Butt.

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees or ready your crock pot, if using.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a small bowel. Trim the fat from the pork, if you feel that is necessary. Rub the spice blend all over the pork. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but it really is much better if you let it sit overnight.

Put the pork in a roasting pan or crock pot and roast (or crock pot cook) for about 6 hours or until an instant thermometer (I'm not sure who actually owns these things...but for those of you that do...) 170 degrees. Basically your pork should be falling apart and should easily be shredded with two forks.

Serve with veggies, mashed potatoes or even just a simple salad.

 Delicious.... oh and if you have left overs make some pork tacos the next night. Just add some taco seasoning to your already cooked pork, heat in a pan and put in some warm tortillas. YUMMMM.....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Is

  Winter Is...       Naps on the couch     Good Reads. With leaves for bookmarkers.     Lots of light saboring.       Snow Forts.       Dogs pulling a sled 200 miles.     And the musher behind them.     Coats zipped up to our eyeballs     Frozen Face. Seriously, his face was frozen.      Skiing   Falling down while skiing     Success! while skiing.       Lot's of yelling, "Do the pizza!!!" at skiing children.     Together.

Little Reminders

It is no small secret that I am forgetful....a little scatterbrained. I can't fully take all the blame for this. I think it that the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" gene was passed along by the one I call mom, and sometimes Kathy Delrene to be funny because she often middle names me (endearingly of course) and I like to remind her (like she's forgotten) that her middle name is Delrene. Not that I'm blaming her, but I don't accept the responsibility either. Ok, I'm blaming her. Sorry, mom (she knows I'm kidding...well, at least kind of.) The good news is that I only forget semi-important things like birthdays (if you think birthdays are more important than semi-important we probably shouldn't be friends), what day the church yard sale is on exactly and mixing up when I need to help b/c I didn't write it down, to make a dozen cookies for the Christmas time gifts to the Airmen in the dorms (oops!), to bring the ipod with me to the gym (grrr...hate

Never Too Late for Friday Favs!

Yes, I know it's Sat. It's actually lateish Sat. evening. FridayFavs are actually supposed to be posted on Friday. Which is not today. Obviously. Oh, time management we have already decided you are one of my greatest foes. However, since the past couple of weeks have been, well pretty wonderful I thought I would share in more of the fun and favorite things we did together. These here are some of our Favs from when the laundry fairy (AKA Nana) was still in town.  Making sweet treats     And a Pinata And just for the record Pinatas are hard to make. It is a project that takes about a week. Not 2 or 3 days Unless you live in the South and can put it outside to dry in Oct.     Best. Dad. Ever.     Ironman. Meg (from Little Women). And a pirate, of course. I love them all. Well, the children dressed up as them anyway.     Yup. This here is the Cowboy at the fishin' hole.     It is quite possible that our homema