Skip to main content

A Life Remembered: Loving Well

Many times I don't post what I write. So many times. And this is good because sometimes my writing, at least to me, can feel like venting. And who, in this world needs one more person venting on them? It happens all the time, with many a scroll or click, I feel the weight of someone else's anger. Usually, it does nothing to help any given situation. Usually, it's all misunderstood and thus only pushes us farther apart. Only further and further apart.

After the shootings in Florida and some scrolling of my own via Facebook. I was ready to write. And so I did. But I didn't post. Y'all don't need me venting on you. My intention is to always encourage, even if it is through some tough words of truth. Venting isn't encouraging. It isn't uplifting. It isn't kind. It reeks of frustration, snark and anger. It doesn't build up or seek the good of others.  There is a fine line between lamenting (which is good and right) and venting. Often times when the line blurs, I won't post. You're welcome.

My focus changed soon after those terrifying shootings because someone that I and so many others held dear, passed away into Glory. The Bible calls this "sleeping" because it isn't really death for those that are in Christ. And it's a weird reality not to feel the weightiness of death for someone who's words of encouragement still ring true in my heart. It's weird to have joy, hope and freedom when thinking about someone that I held so dear dying. Part of this happiness was because in this death my Nannie was finally released from the strangle hold that Dementia grasped onto her until her very last days. She is now fully who she was always meant to be. It's an amazing revelation to think about.

Death is a sensitive subject and certainly, I know that even when believers die, this is often met with great and worthy sadness. I would never pretend to know or tell someone else how they need to grieve. At this particular funeral, remembering whom we have lost was indeed extremely sad, but remembering what she gained was even of greater comfort.

And so, I'm not downplaying death. I want to always point you to the Author and finisher of our faith and in Him is where my Nannie found her strength.  Often we think of strength in terms of physical strength. Or even emotional strength that some seem to easily possess. Nannie certainly did not possess physical strength in a way that would be admired greatly by others. I'm not sure she even weighed more than 100 pounds most of her life. Her strength was not physical, or emotional even, it was in the way that Christ enabled her to love people so well. It was love that made her a force to reckon with. It was her love that she extended to every person she met. Every person. And from the first time she met me, she loved me well, which is saying a lot.

This could not have been easy. Sure I was sweet most of the time, but looking at this (often scantily clad young lady hanging on her grandson) it would have been easy for her to snub her Christian nose downcast at me and make me feel unwanted. But she never did. Ever. She never asked me to be something that I wasn't. I did not have to pretend to be something I wasn't to get her to approve of me.  Certainly, there were things she didn't approve of, but she didn't ask me to rid myself of them (or even make me feel like I should) before she could start loving me. She just did. Always.

Every person at her humble funeral said the same thing in so many words; "She loved me so well." Over and over again. It was like her life mantra. A drumbeat. No, a heartbeat.  That theme of loving well and praying often easily flowed off the lips of those that came to celebrate her life. It was such a triumphant reminder of what really matters in a day in age where all the venting often leaves me feeling parched and at the same time like I'm drowning in the Deep Sea of Darkness. It was like catching a buoy of truth that I had forgotten. I cannot solve all the worlds problems. I cannot have all the answers and try to fix every single thing. I cannot get people to actually listen to each other and realize we have more in common than not especially via social media. But I can, by the grace of God, love those around me well.

As the world rightly celebrated and morned with the Graham family at the death of their beloved, my Nannie was in the same category it's just she didn't have crowds flocking to hear her speak. No, she didn't have one single microphone but what she did have was a faith that splashed onto every single person she met in a way that was winsome and wise. She had a tongue that always encouraged, but never flattered and spoke truth. She had ears that listened before she spoke and hands that hugged, served and loved. She could be silly and loved to laughed. She always said that when we left she wouldn't let our PawPaw wipe the kids' handprints off the sliding glass door. She would tell him, "Just one more day, PawPaw!"

You see, she always knew what really mattered.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Is

  Winter Is...       Naps on the couch     Good Reads. With leaves for bookmarkers.     Lots of light saboring.       Snow Forts.       Dogs pulling a sled 200 miles.     And the musher behind them.     Coats zipped up to our eyeballs     Frozen Face. Seriously, his face was frozen.      Skiing   Falling down while skiing     Success! while skiing.       Lot's of yelling, "Do the pizza!!!" at skiing children.     Together.

Little Reminders

It is no small secret that I am forgetful....a little scatterbrained. I can't fully take all the blame for this. I think it that the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" gene was passed along by the one I call mom, and sometimes Kathy Delrene to be funny because she often middle names me (endearingly of course) and I like to remind her (like she's forgotten) that her middle name is Delrene. Not that I'm blaming her, but I don't accept the responsibility either. Ok, I'm blaming her. Sorry, mom (she knows I'm kidding...well, at least kind of.) The good news is that I only forget semi-important things like birthdays (if you think birthdays are more important than semi-important we probably shouldn't be friends), what day the church yard sale is on exactly and mixing up when I need to help b/c I didn't write it down, to make a dozen cookies for the Christmas time gifts to the Airmen in the dorms (oops!), to bring the ipod with me to the gym (grrr...hate

Never Too Late for Friday Favs!

Yes, I know it's Sat. It's actually lateish Sat. evening. FridayFavs are actually supposed to be posted on Friday. Which is not today. Obviously. Oh, time management we have already decided you are one of my greatest foes. However, since the past couple of weeks have been, well pretty wonderful I thought I would share in more of the fun and favorite things we did together. These here are some of our Favs from when the laundry fairy (AKA Nana) was still in town.  Making sweet treats     And a Pinata And just for the record Pinatas are hard to make. It is a project that takes about a week. Not 2 or 3 days Unless you live in the South and can put it outside to dry in Oct.     Best. Dad. Ever.     Ironman. Meg (from Little Women). And a pirate, of course. I love them all. Well, the children dressed up as them anyway.     Yup. This here is the Cowboy at the fishin' hole.     It is quite possible that our homema