Skip to main content

Living in the UP

Well, I wouldn't say that we're official Yoopers...yet, but I thought maybe this would give you a peak into our lives up here in the UP...kind of a to 10 list of things to know about living up here...

10. There is a special all season windshield washer fluid that should be placed into the car before you enter sub zero temperatures.

9. I don't think I can express just how thankful we are for our snow tires

8. Allow yourself 5 min. extra per child to go outside especially if you are readying your little ones for a walk to the grocer around the corner. It will probably take you longer to get ready than to actually walk to the grocer, buy the few things you need and walk home.

7. Seeing the big flakes drop like a beautiful ballet out of the sun filled sky is something I hope I never forget to wonder at.

6. Thank God for snow plows, and sand....and slow drivers...and a heater that works....

5. Playing in the snow is a whole new set of adventures for the kids and really, there is a lot one can do in the snow if you have enough of it!

4. I wouldn't trade my double garage for anything...even a huge yard....even a stand alone house....

3. How ya doin' eh? in Yooper is kinda like How y'all been? in Texan

2. If anyone asks what the kids need for b-days etc. my standard answer will be board games...we can always use more of those.....or anything else creative to do indoors

1.  You can tell if someone has lived here a long time if they wear shorts to fix their car outside. Or maybe they're just a poor ol' college kid that needs some new jeans. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Is

  Winter Is...       Naps on the couch     Good Reads. With leaves for bookmarkers.     Lots of light saboring.       Snow Forts.       Dogs pulling a sled 200 miles.     And the musher behind them.     Coats zipped up to our eyeballs     Frozen Face. Seriously, his face was frozen.      Skiing   Falling down while skiing     Success! while skiing.       Lot's of yelling, "Do the pizza!!!" at skiing children.     Together.

Little Reminders

It is no small secret that I am forgetful....a little scatterbrained. I can't fully take all the blame for this. I think it that the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" gene was passed along by the one I call mom, and sometimes Kathy Delrene to be funny because she often middle names me (endearingly of course) and I like to remind her (like she's forgotten) that her middle name is Delrene. Not that I'm blaming her, but I don't accept the responsibility either. Ok, I'm blaming her. Sorry, mom (she knows I'm kidding...well, at least kind of.) The good news is that I only forget semi-important things like birthdays (if you think birthdays are more important than semi-important we probably shouldn't be friends), what day the church yard sale is on exactly and mixing up when I need to help b/c I didn't write it down, to make a dozen cookies for the Christmas time gifts to the Airmen in the dorms (oops!), to bring the ipod with me to the gym (grrr...hate

Never Too Late for Friday Favs!

Yes, I know it's Sat. It's actually lateish Sat. evening. FridayFavs are actually supposed to be posted on Friday. Which is not today. Obviously. Oh, time management we have already decided you are one of my greatest foes. However, since the past couple of weeks have been, well pretty wonderful I thought I would share in more of the fun and favorite things we did together. These here are some of our Favs from when the laundry fairy (AKA Nana) was still in town.  Making sweet treats     And a Pinata And just for the record Pinatas are hard to make. It is a project that takes about a week. Not 2 or 3 days Unless you live in the South and can put it outside to dry in Oct.     Best. Dad. Ever.     Ironman. Meg (from Little Women). And a pirate, of course. I love them all. Well, the children dressed up as them anyway.     Yup. This here is the Cowboy at the fishin' hole.     It is quite possible that our homema