Skip to main content

Rain

We walk holding hands, I holding onto the stroller also, his hand in mine. Two more little boys lagging behind. The smell is almost overwhelming. How can it smell the very same way here in Dallas after the rain as it does in Lubbock? "It does, it really does," he replies. The smell of growing up, laughter and love. A smell that takes us back and propels us forward.

"I guess it was so hot and there was no rain, there were those terrible fires," I say to him. "What on their front lawns?" he jokingly says. The reminder of the summer heat is around us. The brown-green, patchy grass groans for more water. Looking, it is a site to behold. House after house smattered with this spotty looking deadened grass. Dead grass, only alive after the rain. After the rain!

The rain is necessary for life.
When every ounce of this tired body aches for easy, I am reminded the rain is necessary for life and growth. 

After weeks and of planning, packing, shuffling, organizing, running around, cleaning, packing (did I say that already?) saying the hard goodbyes and practically breathing in and out PCS jargon only to hop on an 8 hour plane ride and then another 3 hours of plane rides with four children, living with friends and then two nights on a hotel, we have finally arrived and brought the German rain with us.  As refreshing as it is to see the rain quench the grasses' parched wisps, I have grown a bit weary of it life's rain. 

Is it possible for my life to not look like that dead grass with out the rain? Oh, how I want the green grass with out the rain. My heart longs for easy, but Jesus requires the hard things...for me to choose the hard things, just as he did...every time.

Lord, thank you for the rain from above that quenches the grass and my soul. Thank you for the strength and grace your Holy Spirit provides to preserver. And though, we are weary and tired, thank you Lord for the drizzles and down pours of life for your might, power and strength are seen in them! Forgive us for always wanting easy instead of wanting more of you.

286. The Johnson family, taking us in and taking care of us
287. a week spent with family-friends and all the sweet memories
288. The Johnson girls, giving up their room and Louise sharing hers
289. Ellie, weeping at the door, saying good-bye, knowing she has loved her dear friend and my daughter
290. The Lord's constant guidance even when things looked like they wouldn't come together
291. Testing in trusting; failing; and then again...grace
292. All those "last-times"
293. Meeting again with dear friends to fellowship and pray
294. an unexpected gift...many unexpected gifts
295. travel mercies...to Baltimore...to Charlotte...to Dallas
296. my Love, now 29...growing in years and in grace
297. my first little Love, now 9....9, I can't believe it!
298. long walks and slurpees
299. hundred and hundreds of birds swooping, looping, sitting on a wire
300. a nice, long run







Comments

  1. Glad to hear you made it safely to Dallas! You are such an encouragement in how you look to GOD for strength in the midst of LIFE...and all that it entails! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Is

  Winter Is...       Naps on the couch     Good Reads. With leaves for bookmarkers.     Lots of light saboring.       Snow Forts.       Dogs pulling a sled 200 miles.     And the musher behind them.     Coats zipped up to our eyeballs     Frozen Face. Seriously, his face was frozen.      Skiing   Falling down while skiing     Success! while skiing.       Lot's of yelling, "Do the pizza!!!" at skiing children.     Together.

Little Reminders

It is no small secret that I am forgetful....a little scatterbrained. I can't fully take all the blame for this. I think it that the "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" gene was passed along by the one I call mom, and sometimes Kathy Delrene to be funny because she often middle names me (endearingly of course) and I like to remind her (like she's forgotten) that her middle name is Delrene. Not that I'm blaming her, but I don't accept the responsibility either. Ok, I'm blaming her. Sorry, mom (she knows I'm kidding...well, at least kind of.) The good news is that I only forget semi-important things like birthdays (if you think birthdays are more important than semi-important we probably shouldn't be friends), what day the church yard sale is on exactly and mixing up when I need to help b/c I didn't write it down, to make a dozen cookies for the Christmas time gifts to the Airmen in the dorms (oops!), to bring the ipod with me to the gym (grrr...hate

Never Too Late for Friday Favs!

Yes, I know it's Sat. It's actually lateish Sat. evening. FridayFavs are actually supposed to be posted on Friday. Which is not today. Obviously. Oh, time management we have already decided you are one of my greatest foes. However, since the past couple of weeks have been, well pretty wonderful I thought I would share in more of the fun and favorite things we did together. These here are some of our Favs from when the laundry fairy (AKA Nana) was still in town.  Making sweet treats     And a Pinata And just for the record Pinatas are hard to make. It is a project that takes about a week. Not 2 or 3 days Unless you live in the South and can put it outside to dry in Oct.     Best. Dad. Ever.     Ironman. Meg (from Little Women). And a pirate, of course. I love them all. Well, the children dressed up as them anyway.     Yup. This here is the Cowboy at the fishin' hole.     It is quite possible that our homema